Monday, March 5, 2007

Quality of Light2

This assignment was absolutely brilliant! (pun intended :-)

I had such fun chasing light everywhere I went this week... all over my house and neighborhood, and even to Honolulu for a quick trip to attend a family memorial. I'm really excited about the results, and can feel my photographic muscles developing.

There was one priceless image I missed, though... I think it was the best of them all. My step-son Lee & I were flying back on a red-eye from Honolulu to Oakland this morning and as we neared our destination the sun was rising and dawn light bathed his sleeping face and hood in a rich orange wash. It was a beautiful image, and would have been perfect for this assignment. Ah well, I guess that will teach me to keep my camera at the ready, no matter where I am!

So, here are some images where the camera WAS there.

This first one is the famous Albany Bowl, which I've only patronized once in all the years I've lived in the neighborhood (I often imagine I'll go again, especially with their special $1/game rate!):


This arty layout was in a friend's bathroom, and as soon as I noticed it I had to run out and grab my tripod so I could set it up to shoot. I love how it turned out, all swirls & reflected surfaces:

I go to this overpass walkway all the time to try and exorcise my fear of heights. Sometimes I image making a big banner with some profound & startling quote and hanging it up here to wake up the drivers as they pass under it:


This was just a quiet moment of beauty on one of my morning walks. I loved the shallow depth of field and the shimmery colors in the background:


This is from a string of orchid lights in my living room. I shot a whole series at different times of the day, with the lights on and off. This one felt fragile and delicate, lit just by early morning light coming in from the window.


This last one I think is the most interesting. Taken of the moon behind a ridge with some coconut palms this weekend, the green lens glare exactly reproduces the surface of the moon. I'd never seen anything like it before.

1 comment:

jlovell@dvc.edu said...

While you have many interesting images to choose from here I think my favorite might be the palm trees and moonlight as well. The swirl candle is a close second, though. Nice work!